Monday, September 15, 2008

Stuck with you..!!

Short story.. Fiction..!!
I woke up pretty early today or maybe I didn’t sleep last night. So much better to blame it on the jetlag from my 3 week trip to India than on the crucial presentation I have today. I lighted the candle in my temple and just stared blankly.

Today is no different a day. Abundant sunshine and Monday morning hustle bustle. Work seems hard after a long break. Luckily, my office, being on the 44th floor and with an extra ordinary view, eases off so much work related stress. With that thought, I entered the elevator and even before closing fully, the elevator opened again.

“Oh great, and there goes my day!” I thought I was murmuring to myself but he did hear me.
“Excuse me..!!” he retorted, sipping his coffee.

“Nothing, can you just not hurry up. I am already late and want to give some finishing touches to my presentation before it starts.” I realized I couldn’t have been curt than this. But he deserved that.
“Oh, Ok! Just to make things clear a bit, I’d much rather walk up all the way to 44th floor than being here with you in an elevator.” Maybe he felt bad for having said that and hence responded with a Sorry immediately.

Siddharth and I work for the same ad agency. He meant the world to me. We both dreamt growing old together and singing lullabies to our grand children. Everything seemed so magical until he kissed her last month.

“What just happened? Why did the elevator stop suddenly? What was that noise? We haven’t even reached our floor yet. What’s going on?” I almost panicked.
“Stop. Just stop, Anushka. Your shouting isn’t going to help.” She still panics. Nothing has changed. Siddharth thought to himself.

“But why isn’t the elevator moving? This is not a good sign. What do we do now? I have to be in office.” My eyes were moving constantly and pushing all the buttons again and again. Nothing happened and my eyes caught Siddharth’s eyes, who was busy sipping his coffee and whistling. I couldn’t take it.
“I am so sure, Siddharth, you are behind this. You really want to mess up my presentation. Don’t you? I knew something terrible is going to happen ever since I got up this morning.” I always blamed him for anything wrong that happened. Nothing changed even now.

“Enough. Calm down, Anushka. I have nothing to gain of this situation. You are over-reacting. Just because I’m not hyper, doesn’t mean I’m enjoying this. You’ve done your bit by screaming for help and pushing all those buttons. All we can do is just wait. So for God’s sake, stop screaming and blaming me.”
“But it is . . .” I was cut short by a third voice which came through a speaker phone.

“Hello. This is Steve Clark, calling from the Admin. There is a technical snag in the elevator. We are on top of this and will keep you posted on the progress. Hopefully, it should be fine in a few minutes. Sorry for the inconvenience and highly appreciate your patience.”

“Oh! Thank you, Steve. You have no idea what you have done here. Thanks for saving my life, man. I owe you.” Siddharth smirked. He always teased me and especially when I was angry. If in 3 years, we did anything differently, it was handling such situations. I always panicked and he acted calm and composed. Wonder how he does that time and time again.

“So, how’s the presentation coming along? I am sure the clients are in for a surprise. You will do well, Anu.”
“First of all, I am Anushka. Let’s keep it that ways. Secondly, don’t try sweet talking me into something. It won’t work. What happens with my presentation is none of your business.” This definitely wasn’t how I expected my day to start.
“Ok, Anushka. I stay clear. But why are you so bitter? You never even gave me a chance to explain. You are the one who isn’t even talking to me.” In a way he was right but then there was nothing to explain.

“What would you say, Siddharth? There’s nothing between us. It’s all over.”
“For starters, I would like to explain my side of the story. It’s really not what you think. She means nothing to me.” I sensed truth in his eyes but couldn’t get myself to believe after what I saw.

“This is what you probably told her as well about me. Isn’t it? You think . . .” Before I realized his finger was already on my lips.
“Sssshhh. Just sssshhh. You know nothing, Anushka. I don’t love her. I never have. She kissed me. And it was unexpected. I had no idea. I was shocked and by the time I shoved her back, I saw you standing at the door. Everyone knows about her reputation in office, so why don’t you trust me? I have tried everything under the sun, ever since then. But you just disappeared. You refused to take my calls. You blocked my email id. I had no way to reach you and my only hope was Preeti. Since she is your best friend, I asked her to be the messenger but she also said it’s worthless.” I remember Preeti explaining everything but then I was too shocked to absorb anything. I guess I just wanted to run away and my India trip gave me exactly that opportunity.

“Why are you telling me this now, Siddharth?” I wanted to hug him. To believe him. But somehow my mind was going crazy with all the thoughts.
“You don’t understand, Anushka. Do you? I love you. Only you. I always have and always will. You complete me. You have no idea how this past month has been for me. You were with your parents and here I was all alone by myself. Being punished for something which wasn’t even my fault. You know, I thought if I get one chance to explain my situation, maybe you will understand. Maybe things will come back to normal. But it seems you have already made up your mind. And I . . .” Suddenly there is a jolt and the elevator’s again on its way.

Maybe I was harsh. Maybe I didn’t give him the chance to speak. Maybe I over reacted. The door of the elevator opened and Siddharth walked out first, wishing me luck.

“Hey Sid, game for lunch. I will be free by 12:30. Same place.”

We both smiled.

8 comments:

  1. Awww,I am so glad the elevator stalled! :)

    Very well written,loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Sameera,,

    glad u loved da story.. hehehehe.. luv blossomin in a stalled elevator.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. chweeeeeeeeeeeeet...me likes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiyaa Trina,,

    Thanks,, glad u liked.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was well written...but thoda sa cliched laga...the whole...person in goof up...no explanation allowed waala thingy...

    no harm done..i write many such ones myself... :P 'twas still nicely written

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmm,, mystique wanderer,, cliched,, eh.. yeahhh jst wanted to write smthn in a stalled elevator.. :-)

    ahaa.. now tatzz a comfort tat even u write sch goof ups heheh.. :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. not really goof ups...more of semi cliches....

    visit callmesmith.blogspot.com

    read god i met her...thats the one i like the most

    ReplyDelete
  8. i meant more in a joke than anythn elzz.. :-)

    i jst visited ur poem page,, will read the story n leave my comment.. :-)

    ReplyDelete