Friday, July 20, 2007

Money in my pocket..!!

“There are some things money can’t buy, for everything else there is a master card.” I love the string of ads based on this one liner by master card. I like the simplicity of the phrase and yet so meaningful and deep. It is so true that any human being at any given point in time is always running after more and more money. It is amazing how we keep wanting for more and never feel the contentment from what we have. I hear stories all around me about people who have loads of money and yet are not very happy. People who are very successful and yet don’t know what to do with the money. People who work so hard to build an empire and then give it all away. Is it worthwhile to say that those who have money, don’t value it as much as those who don’t have and aspire all their lives to have more. Does money give them the security that they are looking for in life or does it just give us the status that we need for ourselves? It would be foolish on my part to say that I don’t need more money but definitely there is a limit to define contentment. After all at the end of the day what matters the most is about being happy from the inside. It is scary to hear stories about the insecurities that rise because of more money and the sleepless nights one spends to make things believable the next day for the business to keep running.
Recently I attended a seminar where the speaker talked about how having more money has made his life so easier. He spoke about how he had a dream of seeing his parents retired by the age of 60 and not by 65 because he felt the need to do something for them. He worked hard and is very successful today and the major content he has in life is that his dream of his parents retiring did come true. He randomly chose people from the audience to talk about their dreams. There was this lady in early 30s who also had a dream and on her dream everyone had a hearty laugh. When asked what her dream in life is, she said “My dream is to walk into a store and shop for whatever I feel like without looking at the price tags”. It is a paradox that at one point where we see billionaires being unhappy in their lives as they feel money hasn’t bought them happiness yet; there is still a horde of people who strongly feel the need for more. And ofcourse the more is always the beginning but not an end. In the recent past, I also did get a chance to meet a person whose mansion is an inspiration in itself to own a home like that one day. He throws a lot of parties every other day and out of curiosity I did ask him the reason for the same. He says “I don’t know what to do with so much money and these parties take away the loneliness in life”. It might be as a joke he mentioned that but then it is the harsh reality for most of the rich and famous. I guess you pay the price for being rich. One heck of a price to pay but after all they have the money to pay. So do I want a peaceful sleep after a long day of work or would I rather have the money to buy whatever I can? I don’t know but one thing is for sure I choose happiness, fun, excitement over the green paper. And as long as I can do my own thing in my very own small and special ways I am happy but that would definitely not mean that I don’t want to have some more. Isn’t life all about craving for more? After all, like that woman even I love to shop till I drop. Thus, the question still remains whether it is “good to live your whole life with pocket money or have 'that some more' money in your pocket?”

No comments:

Post a Comment